Tuesday 21 August 2012

Starting to panic....1 week to go.


I meant to post this yesterday, but it was my daughters 17th birthday, and well, I had better things to do, hahaha. Presents and dinner at the Keg were wonderful, and my mom was there as well, so it was a nice family moment. A bitter sweet one though, as we are leaving in a week, and Sam is staying behind.

Packing for something like this is so difficult! I have to think about so much, what we need, what we can store, what we can sell, and what to give away. There are so many details that I have to figure out, it's crazy. I just realized the other day that I hadn't even thought of what the heck I'm doing with our 60 gallon fish tank, complete with fish! I can't exactly take 300lb of water and fish into our RV. Luckily, I figured something out for them....it flushes. I'm KIDDING!!! Don't worry, they are going to a good home, *giggle*. I couldn't resist.

Now, normally when I move, I throw everything into boxes (yes I go through it), then we move, and whatever we haven't unpacked after a year (yes, I have that stuff), I go through again, and sell or donate. I don't have the room for that stuff this time. I have to make sure that we are only taking what we need because we don't have the room for all the extra stuff that I won't use for a year. I also have to think about our VERY limited storage capabilities, as well as weight limits. I'm so glad our 5th wheel has a large basement though.

I'm pretty sure this is the one that we will get.


Then there is the kitchen stuff. OH MY WORD. How to decide what to bring and what not to? I need it all I swear! I have to weed a well stocked kitchen down quite far. I need to find what is dual purpose and what I simply can't use in an RV...like our large pizza stone. That won't fit in an RV oven! I love our home made pizza though...sigh. I will have to figure out some other way. I'm thinking of getting a convection toaster oven. I should be able to bake bread and buns still, cookies, a cake maybe...and do small personal sized pizzas in one. Maybe small casseroles? There is only the three of us now. I will also save on propane that way if I use a toaster oven instead of the propane stove in the RV. I have never owned a toaster oven, but I'm thinking it will be a life saver in all of this. Besides, if it's hot out, I can take the oven outside and bake out there! Save on the A/C!

I also bought a silicone bakeware set from Canadian Tire. Reason? I can mash them up and shove them in a drawer if needed. I don't need all the room I would with regular muffin, bread, cake and bundt pan, or cookie sheet. It also says on the package that they can be folded and stored and won't lose their shape. I'm counting on it!


I also bought the above collapsable measuring spoon set, and the set below.



Those are some of my space saving ideas and solutions so far. I'm also bringing my crock pot. That's another amazing device that I think will save on propane as well as make life easier. I'm leaving in storage my Kitchenaide Classic countertop mixer and all of it's amazing attachments. I'll be sad to leave it behind, but my toaster oven and my crock pot are the only large kitchen items I'm allowing myself. I can make do with a hand blender. I did for years and years.

So, that's some of what we are going through right now. I'm trying to downsize and plan and organize, and in a few days we should have the RV. Then we will be moving into the RV, out of our house, and putting our stuff into storage. Then we need to fix a few things in the house and put it up for rent. Hopefully I will be able to post again next Monday, but if you don't hear from me in for a while, it will be because we are very busy. I will post as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment